- 1 tin creamed sweetcorn (normally around 400ml)*
- 400ml water (equal to the mls in the tin)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bouillon powder (vegetable stock)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 long spring onion (white part only)
- 50g oyster mushrooms, finely chopped (optional)
- Handful of coriander, finely chopped (optional)
Vegan creamy quick and easy sweetcorn soup
What is your favourite soup from a Chinese restaurant? I think the most popular Chinese soups in the UK are wonton, sweetcorn and hot & sour soup.
Traditionally, most of them are cooked with meat or seafood. However, with a rapid increase in the number of vegetarians and vegans in London, most restaurants offer vegetarian options. It’s also not too tricky to vegan-ise them at home, which I will be doing to these 2 dishes and sharing with you in next few weeks.
As usual I like to make things as quick and easy as possible so in this recipe I cheated with a can of creamed corn, which will save you about 20 minutes of work. I have checked most available brands in UK supermarkets and they all seem to be gluten-free, vegan and don’t have a crazy amount of sugar or chemicals added.
You can prepare this lovely delicious, creamy oyster mushroom and sweetcorn soup in just 15 minutes during a busy week, why not give it a go!?
To start, let’s chop the oyster mushrooms into very fine pieces. I love mushrooms so much and I’d add them to everything if I could. However, this is totally optional. The mushrooms in this recipe don’t affect the taste of the soup much.
Next, divide the spring onion into 3 equal parts. Slice 1 part of spring onion horizontally for garnish.
And then shred the other 2 parts thinly for cooking.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the finely shredded spring onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until they turn slightly golden in colour.
Pour in the creamed sweetcorn then refill the tin to the top with water and pour that in as well. Cook on high heat until the soup is boiling.
Add the chopped oyster mushrooms, season with salt and bouillon and stir gently. Reduce the heat to medium, cover with the lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour the soup into two serving bowls equally, garnish with the rest of spring onion and coriander. This soup is best served hot.
This unfussy sweetcorn soup only requires a few ingredients and can be prepared in just 15 minutes. It is creamy, mild and sweet tasting; it’s can be quite a hit with children. Also, It doesn’t just go well with your Chinese meals, it also pairs well with toast or ciabatta.
P.S. Did you notice my new duck chopsticks holder? They are cute aren’t they :D.
If you have followed and made this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and take a picture, tagging it with #k33_kitchen and share it on Instagram! I’d be very excited to see what you come up with. Cheers, hope you enjoy my recipes! <3 <3
Prep.: 5 mins | Cook: 10 minsIngredients:
- Divide the spring onion into 3 equal parts. Slice 1 part horizontally for garnish and thinly shred the over 2 parts for cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the finely shredded spring onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until it turns slightly golden in colour.
- Pour in the creamed sweetcorn and then refill the tin to the top with water and pour that in as well. Cook on high heat until the soup is boiling.
- Add the chopped oyster mushrooms (if using), season with salt and bouillon and stir gently.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover with the lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup into two serving bowls equally, garnish with the rest of spring onion and coriander. This soup is best served hot.