- 400g firm tofu, diced into 2cm cubes
- 70g bean sprouts
- 50g chinese chives, chopped into 4-5cm long pieces*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce**
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce**
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
Stir-fried tofu with bean sprouts and Chinese chives
This is one of my favourite dishes which I cook at least once a week. Especially after a long day of work, I go home with a grumpy and hungry stomach and I don’t want to spend my whole evening in the kitchen. This is quick and easy to cook, only takes 15 minutes from preparation to serving.
Not to mention tofu is a good source of protein and bean sprouts are low in calories and contain lots of vitamins, minerals and fibre. This is a healthy, delicious, saucy and flavourful dish that goes well with almost everything. I added Chinese chives to this recipe to give it a bit of a fresh and onion-like flavour. You can replace the Chinese chives with regular chives, spring onions or a small leek.
OK, let’s get started!
Dice the tofu into 2cm cubes and place them in a heated non-stick frying pan with olive oil. Fry for 5-7 minutes.
Meanwhile rinse the bean sprouts and chives with water. Shake and remove the excess water with a sieve, set aside. Mix garlic, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, mirin, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
Be patient, turning the tofu frequently, until a golden colour develops on both sides of every cube. Reduce the heat to medium, add the sauce mix and stir fry very gently for another few minutes.
Stir very gently, so you don’t break the tofu cubes, to make sure every cube is evenly coated with the sauce.
Throw in the bean sprouts and chives. I like my vegetable still fresh and crunchy, so I only toss for another minute and dish is ready!
This is a brilliantly simple, fuss-free, healthy, flavour-packed tofu stir-fry dish. It goes extremely well with noodles, quinoa or any grain of your choice. Enjoy!
This recipe was created for Veahero, a cool new (free!) meal planning platform for vegans and vegetarians.
If you have followed and made this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and take a picture, tagging it with #k33_kitchen and share it on Instagram! I’d be very excited to see what you come up with. Cheers, hope you enjoy my recipes! <3 <3
Prep.: 5 mins | Cook: 10 minsIngredients:
- Rinse the bean sprouts and chives with water and shake through a sieve to remove excess water, set aside.
- Mix garlic, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, mirin, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan, add the tofu and fry for 5-7 minutes, turning frequently, until it turns golden in colour.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the sauce mix and stir-fry gently for another 2-3 minutes,
- Add in the bean sprouts and chives, toss gently for another minute.
- Serve with rice, noodles, quinoa or any grain of your choice
*Chinese chives can be replaced with regular chives or a small leek.
** Regular soy sauce is made with fermented wheat. Use gluten-free soy sauce if you are gluten intolerant.