- 200g leek, dark green stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes (about 700g), peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp bouillon powder (vegetable stock)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 litre hot water
Potato and leek soup
It is April already and spring has officially arrived! We have even had a few good days of sun!!!!! However, this is England so it may well snow tomorrow!!
Today is a chilly day again :-(. After a week of hard work, I am a bit blue… procrastinating, grumpy and lazy. I fancy something effortless, made in just one-pot, a bit of comfort food that can cheer me up before wine o’clock! Potato always does the trick.
Here is my classic leek and potato soup recipe, a perfect soup for this time of year.
Heat the olive oil in a pot, add the minced garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until the garlic turns slightly golden in colour.
Add the chopped leek and celery and then stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the potatoes and season with salt, pepper, bouillon, dried parsley and nutritional yeast. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
Pour on 1 litre hot water and bring it to boil.
Cover with the lid and simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat.
I like my soup creamy but slightly crunchy at the same time. So I separate 1/3 of the vegetables and put them to one side. Blend the soup with a hand blender then add the extra vegetables back in.
If you prefer your soup smooth and creamy all the way through then just blend everything together without removing any vegetables.
Sprinkle some sliced leek on top and serve warm with bread.
This creamy, luscious leek and potato soup is comforting and nutritious. It is quick and effortless to make, you could even freeze half for another chilly day. It makes a tasty lunch or supper with chunks of crusty bread and vegan butter.
This recipe was created for Veahero, a cool new (free!) meal planning platform for vegans and vegetarians.
Hope you enjoy my recipes! If you have followed and made this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and take a picture, tagging it with #k33_kitchen and share it on Instagram! I’d be very excited to see what you come up with. Cheers, hope you enjoy my recipes! <3 <3
Prep.: 10 mins | Cook: 25 minsIngredients:
- Heat the olive oil in a pot, add the minced garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until the garlic turns slightly golden in colour.
- Add the leek and celery and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and season with salt, pepper, bouillon, dried parsley and nutritional yeast, stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour on 1 litre hot water and bring it to boil.
- Cover with the lid and allow to simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Separate 1/3 of the vegetables from the soup and put to one side. (optional)
- Blend the soup with a hand blender then (if you did step 6) add the separated vegetables back in (I like the soup a bit crunchy).
- Sprinkle some sliced leek on top and serve warm with bread.