- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 80g kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan pesto sauce
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 ciabatta*
- 10g pine nuts for topping (optional)
The internet is overwhelmed with avocado toast. Basically, if you search for vegan food inspiration, you will find hundreds and thousands of different versions of avocado toast.
SO… if you are getting bored of Avocado toast and are searching for a quick, new and tasty replacement, try this pesto on toast with kale and mushrooms.
The toast is so simple to make, just like avocado toast. However, the combination of kale, mushroom, garlic and pesto sauce create a richer and much complex flavour. It is truly an excellent breakfast, brunch, lunch, light dinner, starter or tapas.
Chop, chop, chop…
Remove the stems from kale and chop roughly.
Then slice the mushrooms…
Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan, add the minced garlic, fry for 2-3 minutes until the garlic turns slightly golden in colour.
Add the kale and mushrooms, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and set aside.
Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally, and then roughly slice into 5 cm wide pieces then toast.
Once nicely toasted, spread pesto sauce evenly over each piece.
You can use a jar of ready-made pesto sauce from the shop or create your own homemade vegan pesto, which only takes an extra 5 minutes to prepare.
Finally, spoon on some of the cooked kale and mushrooms and sprinkle some pine nuts on top. Serve when warm. Yummmmmm!
I am having this toast for breakfast today, it is packed full of nutrients and flavours, a great breakfast to kick start my day. I hope you like this recipe as well!
If you have followed and made this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and take a picture, tagging it with #k33_kitchen and share it on Instagram! I’d be very excited to see what you come up with. Cheers, hope you enjoy my recipes! <3 <3
Prep.: 5 mins | Cook: 10 minsIngredients:
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan, add the minced garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until the garlic turns slightly golden in colour.
- Add the chopped kale and mushrooms, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix well and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally, then roughly cut into 5cm slices and toast.
- Spread the pesto sauce evenly over each piece.
- Top with the cooked kale and mushrooms and sprinkle some pine nuts on top. Serve while warm.
*Feel free to replace ciabatta with your preferred type of bread.